"You can count the seeds in a sunflower, but you can never count the sunflowers in a seed."



Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Tomato, tomato!


Every year some Italians come to the property where we live and pick the edible mushrooms.  Last year we met them and they shared their lunch with us - homemade cured proscuito, homemade pickled eggplant, bread rolls and what they called 'Peragini' tomatoes.  Everything was delicious!  And they left me with one precious, half-ripe Peragini.  They call them Peragini Tomatoes because they're Italian neighbour, Mr Peragini, gave them to them!


So I left the gem to ripen on the bench and collected the seeds.  Unbeknownst to me, Peraginis can yield some very big tomatoes and I was surprised to find this one reach this size!  It weighs 550g!  They are a fleshy tomato, like Grosse Lisse, but very different in shape.  I'm not eating tomatoes at the moment because is effects Nahlia badly, but Ulf tells me they're delicious!  I have cooked some up and bottled them for later devouring!   Let's see if I can take some seeds with me to Germany....!

No comments: