"You can count the seeds in a sunflower, but you can never count the sunflowers in a seed."



Pages

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Casper eggplant



I love eggplant, but I can never seem to get their tiny little seeds to sprout for me!  This season I found a seedling for an heriloom variety that I had never heard of before - Casper Eggplant.  This one little bush has so much fruit on it that you would think our soils were amazing, but they're nothing special.  It loves cooler weather and puts out new flowers when the temperature drops, and also after a feed of Comfrey fertiliser.

To eat, they are divine!  The skins are not bitter like the well-known Black Beauty.  We enjoy them fried golden on top of our salads... mmmmmm yum!

I'm definitely going to keep some seeds from this little Casper and try it again!  That's if they'll sprout for me...!

No comments: